Wednesday, October 14, 2009

RE: Phil Guston/my philosophy/ a little bit about duchamp

I LOVE WHAT THIS GUY HAD TO SAY. Even though I only heard the filtered down version via you.

Sorry I've been slacking on putting new interesting artists on. I like to put up people who are mindblowingly nuts, just to keep it interesting.

ANYWAY. What Phil Guston calls his control *I think???* I call the process. Or, as Duchamp said and which I love, the CHOICE of the artist.
CHOICE CHOICE CHOICE.

I accept Duchamp's readymades 100% art, no questions asked, because he made the conscience decision to choose an object and display it as art. I feel like he had his own set of challenges as the artist, because he had to become a "selector." He had to find an object which he connected with and envision that object in a different setting from what was usual for that object. Thus, changing the meaning of the object. Allowing himself to connect with an inanimate object could not have been such an easy thing, right??


Also, I think Guston said something about allowing the painting to go through you. I LOVE THAT BECAUSE I HAVE EXPERIENCED THAT .I'm not sure if it's me the artist or me the viewer that can just sense when the piece I am looking at has not become a real part of the artist who created it. As artists, we need to get seriously SUBMERGED into our pieces.

Thank God we're both artists, I have no one else I can talk to about this stuff.
It's okay, probably even a good thing, to be insane. It isn't my fault that my paintings make me this way.

This makes some sense but is completely unedited and I feel like I just sort of put thought fragments in my excitement and rush.


endpost.
sketchsteph/

2 comments:

  1. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, seriously... duchamp, guston, tons of others broke all the rules. why are there even rules in art, i don't know, but we owe everything to these artists before us.

    and i'm glad you think this way too... which is why i added all of these exclamation points before.

    ReplyDelete